The first felted thing I made worked exactly to the pattern specifications; 30% decrease in height and 10% in width so I made the full size bag based on that.
FAILURE. It shrunk 50% in height and no decrease in width leaving something completely useless. Same yarn, same washing machine, same needles. BTW that ugly lump above is supposed to be a French Market bag.
I decided to try again with a different pattern, of course I didn’t swatch. I never swatch. The pattern said that the wool should decrease 20% in height and 10% in width and I was using the same weight wool, different brand and a coarser fibre but it should be ok.
This time the bag didn’t felt as much as the pattern suggested for the other wool. I can’t find a picture of it online but it is supposed to be wider than it is tall.
The pattern required a lot more yarn than I had so I reduced the size by 1/3 in both directions to make a smaller bag. At least I calculated that correctly, when I had finished sewing it up I had about 40cm left over!
Strap – 93cm length, 8cm width.
Bag – side seam 33cm, width 30cm
After felting I had:
Strap – 89 cm length, 6cm width.
Bag – side seam 30cm, width 29cm
The final result is really good, I love it but it is certainly not what I was expecting at all.