I joined a Knit-along for Liesl. I had some Aran weight cotton acrylic that would be good for summer and was the right weight for the pattern. I downloaded the pattern and found that there is a 4″ difference between sizes.
Take 1: 30″ back and 38″ front would mean slight negative ease. All went well, the yoke looked like it would fit properly. I got down below the armholes and tried it on. Too much pull across the back meant the armholes were pulled back and looked silly. The front was really good.
Take 2: Aim 34″ back and 38″ front. All was going well until I finished the yoke increases. This time I had miscalculated the cast on and ended up with a 38″, this was far too big.
Take 3: I gave up on the aran weight cotton/acrylic and grabbed some 8ply mercerised cotton. I knitted a few rows in pattern on 5mm needles to see what I would get. Each pattern was 3″. I recalculated the number of repeats required around the body and for the yoke to give a 16″ back and 19″ front then adjusted it to full repeats. I finished the increases and cast off 3 repeats for each armhole, I cast on 1 repeat for each underarm and knitted a couple more rows…it fits!
Finally I can continue and hopefully get it finished for summer.