My loom arrived in the last days of 2011, so 2012 was a year of weaving. I made:
scarves for each of my kids
4 scarves for Eno.
2 scarves for friends
Lots of scarves and wraps for me including:-
- log cabin
- long and thin
- wide and open
- heavy winter wraps
- light summer stoles
The first one was loose, with uneven edges and far from wearable. The latest ones I have had people tell me they look like I bought them, they are a lot more even now that I have worked out how to get an even tension.
Things I have learnt:-
- Silk can be difficult as it is very slippery so the tension on the warp becomes uneven.
- Slubby and boucle yarns hide unevenness fairly well.
- When mixing yarns in the warp make sure they have the same amount of stretch.
- Completely different looks can be achieved with the same yarns by changing the heddle size.
- Sock wool makes a great warp.
- Self striping wools blend nicely in weaving and look completely different to when they are knitted.
So what is coming up for next year?
I now have a second hand 4 harness table loom to learn to use so I can try more complicated weaving.
I want to continue to play with colour and texture and see what I can come up with on both the Rigid Heddle and the table loom.