It turns out there are different uses:
- 3 draft patterns.
- Double the dpi so I can weave solid fabrics with fine yarns. In addition to the 5, 7.5, 10 and 12.5 dpi I could weave previously, I can now weave at 15, 20 and 25 dpi. (20 threads/10cm through to 100 threads/10cm)
- Double weaving. Double weaving is creating either 2 layers of fabric at the same time or a double thickness fabric if you weave both layers together.
- Warp part of it double and part single so it is warped like the Majacraft dynamic heddle loom.
Double weaving allows:
- plain weave double the width of the loom
- 2 separate pieces of fabric that can be joined periodically to make pockets.
- woven tubes
- winter/summer weaves where colour patterns are woven through both layers and one side is the reverse of the other.
So far I have thought about making a needle roll for my knitting needles, a blanket, a 2×1 twill scarf. Its like having a completely new loom!
Now I just have to finish the project on the loom so I can put the new kit on.