0

What to do with some pale mint green 2ply

A few weeks ago I pulled a skein of Mayhem and Chaos Polwarth/silk/cashmere out of my stash and started thinking about what to do with it.  I wasn’t 100% sure about the colour (it came from a yarn club years ago).  I got onto pinterest and started looking at photos containing that colour so I could determine what I liked and what I didn’t.  My conclusion was it was a background colour and needed something bright in the foreground to set it off.

20140720_143320With this in mind I decided that whatever I made had to be plain so that it could be worn with brightly coloured scarves or jewellery.
I’m most of the way through making a top with it.   I’m using the Mohair Minimalist pattern but I’ve added bust and hip shaping so that it doesn’t pull anywhere.  This one has a lower neckline than my mohair one and my tension is 16st/10cm instead of the 14 I used last time making it a little bit less see through.  It is fitting really well and working out just as I wanted it to be.


Here are a few shots with scarves so you can see what I had in mind…

20140720_143904 20140720_144056 20140720_144159

 

0

2013: I did achieve something!

Well the year is almost over, what did I get done this year?

The first thing I completed was a summer tunic that I really enjoy wearing.  I have received a number of compliments and even had people suggest I make them to sell.  I tell people to go to Dairing to get the kit when they say that.

spring 1

There were a number of scarves, knitted and woven, a couple of cowls and a couple of hats.

20131229_14102020131229_141043022

I worked with silk, stainless steel, linen, cotton, alpaca, wool, soy and mohair.

PhotoGrid_1388289299171[1]I also learnt to weave with 2 heddles to make a 2×1 twill.

20131229_14144520131229_141434

So what will 2014 have in store? Maybe a few UFOs completed, some knitting, some weaving and some embroidery.

0

Moving beyond woven scarves

I’m starting to think about using hand woven fabric for clothing.  I have 600m of natural coloured cotton that I thought I might use for an easy summer top.  I’m also thinking about making a kimono style dressing gown for summer.  The kimono will require 4m of fabric.  The top will require just over half that amount.

A friend told me to look at Kimono patterns as Kimono fabric is 14″ wide.  As I have a 50cm loom these patterns will fit comfortably on my handwoven fabric.

The top will be made in 8ply cotton so will require 300 metres of yarn or a bit over 3 50g balls for the warp another 2 – 3 balls will be required for the weft.

The kimono I want to do in lace weight so it will be woven at 15 – 20 dpi and will therefore require up to 1500m just to complete the warp!

I have the cones below in sand, red and black so I can make it make it multicoloured.IMG_20131114_164543[1]

Once I have completed these 2 projects (which could take a while) I will consider some tailored garments made with my hand woven fabrics.

2

A linen tunic for summer

Back in July I got a kit for Spring by Dairing from EGMTK at Bendigo.  I’ve finally finished it!  Just in time for the hottest month of the year.  I made it shorter than the pattern as I am short and I’m not likely to wear it with tights as shown in the pattern.

On the needles this looked tiny, I had no idea how it was going to go around me.  Blocking however did its job opening it up and softening the fibre.

Once blocked it was sewn, this was the interesting bit, sewing a couple of seams changed it from 2 rectangles to an interesting top.  Once sewn I found it needed to be washed again and hung to dry to improve the shape.

I really like the final product, it is going to great for hot days worn with trousers or a straight skirt.