In the last 3 weeks I’ve started 3 projects and continued working on another one. All of these projects are for summer, I hope to finish 2 in the next week and continue with the others 2 through February.
This is a woven scarf. The warp is primarily black Dairing CL2, a cotton linen blend. The weft is primarily a dark green slubby linen from The Threadroom, formerly Marta’s. The design is random stripes of bright orange silk in both the warp and weft hence the name.
Not just another scarf
This is a knitted scarf made with a strand of lace weight Mayhem & Chaos alpaca/silk and a strand of Dairing D-82, silk/stainless steel. I’m using a Fibonacci sequence to determine the distance between the stripes where I drop the alpaca/silk and knit the silk/stainless steel on it’s own.
The Silk/Stainless steel adds structure to the very soft alpaca/silk so that it is scrunchable and a lot firmer than you would expect for such fine yarns on 4mm needles.
V neck tunic
The tunic I started on New Years Day is still going well, I’m up to the waist. Hopefully it will be finished in time for Autumn. As it is being knitted at a looser than recommended tension it looks like it will need blocking to even out the stitches.
Speaking of blocking, I blocked the first half of Spicy Spring before starting the second piece. These 2 photos show the difference with open garter stitch in linen that blocking can make. The fabric is softer, more even and very drapy.
I’ve only got about 40 rows to go on this top, then I can block the 2nd piece and sew it together. It should be ready just in time for the really hot weather in a couple of weeks.
I can’t wait to see how it works once it is sewn together as it is just 2 rectangles that are stitched together to make a top.
I have just started Spring by Teresa Dair. This is a one size tunic so I needed to make it a bit shorter as I’m only 5’2″. The knitting is very easy just garter stitch, the design is innovative in the way it is sewn up to give the drape.
I can’t wait to get the knitting finished so I can see how it works when sewn up!
Its finished! The Drop Stitch Lace tank has been completed with a few modifications.
- Knitted in the round. This meant I could try it on and get the pattern changes where I wanted them.
- Unmatched front and back, I made the front one size bigger than the back. As the patterning allowed for a bigger front than back I only needed to go up one size.
- I worked it so that the ribbing (smallest gauge) ended up on my waist (smallest girth). This made it shorter as I didn’t increase the lace at the bottom as I intended to wear it with skirts.
- I changed it to a V neck so that I didn’t have excess fabric across my upper body and I wouldn’t have to reduce the stitch count to drop a size.
- I used short rows to form sloping shoulders instead of making them straight across.
I used some Heirloom Breeze that I got from the backroom at Bendigo a few years ago on 4.5mm needles.
I love the way it fits, I might make another longer one in bright cotton to wear with jeans.
My current project is the Drop Stitch Lace Tank by Stephanie Japel. I love the concept behind this top, the pattern on the front and hem produces a different gauge to the ribbing on the back and waist producing a garment with room where you need it and clingy where you don’t. I’m making the front one size bigger than the back; I normally need to make a front 2 – 3 sizes bigger. At full stretch the ribbing is ~20st/10cm and the drop stitch lace is ~14st at full stretch not that you would want to stretch it that far!
I’m making it in Heirloom Breeze which is 70% cotton, 30% wool with a bit of spandex to make sure it holds its shape. I’ve had this yarn for about 6 years and hadn’t found the right thing to make with it until now.
I’m going to change the neckline to a V neck as I think that will suit me better. As I am knitting it in the round I will be able to try it on as I go to make sure I change patterns at the right spots.
Fibre: 70% wool/30% Ramie
Date completed: February 2004
Tension: knitted a bit tighter than the recommended tension as I used a double strand for a 10ply pattern.
Stitch: Twisted stocking stitch.
Washing: Handwashed, rolled in towels and dried flat.
Worn: Mainly during summer and spring
This shell has held its shape and colour very well. It became softer when first washed. It has shown a small amount of pilling but still looks good. Not bad for a garment that cost me about $8.00.